On the 116th anniversary of Ernest Hemmingway‘s birthday nine West Lothian Writers made it along to our meeting to hear people’s attempts at their own Six Word Stories, offer feedback at other members’ work and general enjoy some of the best amateur writing in the area.
Six Word Stories
To celebrate Hemmingway’s birthday we ask people to bring along their own six word stories. There were some truly excellent stories filled with drama, love and scares. You can find our six word tales here.
This Week’s News
We’ve had the first two entries for our second anthology from Chris and Bill. We encourage all our members to submit their work. For more information check out the Second Anthology Page on the website.
The 21st of August will see West Lothian Write return to the Howden Park Centre. This is your chance to perform your life’s work (as long as it is less than 6 minutes) to a supportive crowd of other writers from West Lothian. The night starts at 7pm and you can find more information and buy tickets here.
The day after will be our next workshop is already getting some interest. Called Conquering the Blank Page, Janis Mackay will look at the basics of creative writing. An ideal workshop for those who are just starting to write or are returning to the craft after many years. The workshop will take place between 10am till 4pm next to where we normally meet.
This Week’s Writing
- [untitled] – the forth chapter of Sally’s children’s book. James chats to his Dad on the way home from the match before going out to play with Kyle.
- Doctor Doctor – a comic short story by Susi. Edward Jameson visits the doctor with what he thinks is a rare condition
- Adios Nervosa – the next part in Ian’s surreal sci-fi story. After falling into a sea of milk, the main character meets a fisherman.
- The Cone of Doom – the latest instalment of Eric‘s comedy crime novel. Hazel settles into her new job while trying to work out what the job actually entails.
- The Girl on the Yellow Paper – Stephen‘s entry to the Anthology of Quitters. While in the pub, the main character gets talking to a drunk who is trying to forget.