The other day I came across a great series of article from Jen Matera on Write Divas about Dialogue Tags and I’ve been trying to work out how to share these articles with you since. At first I was going to do a summary article but then I felt the points they try to make would work better as an exercise so that is what we are going to do today.
We’ll start with the basics. Below are five pieces of dialogue and the tags to show who is speaking. Please add in the correct punctuation marks for each situation. The answers are below the break
1) “Please leave me alone while I read the paper” Rupert said
2) “What would you like to order today” The Waitress asked
3) “Hello” said Jimmy “I’m looking for Mr Stewart”
4) “What the hell were you thinking” Gordon screamed
5) Fred noticed the lost looking tourists “can I help you”