Those of you who visited our old site will know about how we would trawl the internet to bring our members the best writing advice we could possibly find. What better way to re-start this tradition that providing you with a list of 164 writing tips from 17 famous authors all taken from the Gotham Writers.
As there is so many tips we are going to list them by author so just click on the person you think will give you the best advice and go from there.
- Andrew Motion: 10 Techniques to Spark the Writing
- Annie Proulx: 5 Techniques for Good Craftsmanship
- Billy Wilder: 10 Screenwriting Tips
- Edgar Allan Poe: 5 Essentials for the Betterment of a Story
- Elmore Leonard: 10 Rules of Writing
- George Orwell: 6 Questions/6 Rules
- Henry Miller: 10 Writing Tips
- Jack Kerouac: 30 Cool Tips
- Joyce Carol Oates: 10 Writing Tips
- Kurt Vonnegut: 8 Basics of Creative Writing
- Michael Moorcock: 10 Tips for Good Storytelling
- Neil Gaiman: 8 Good Writing Practices
- P.D. James: 5 Bits of Writing Advice
- Strunk & White: 11 Composition Principles (E. B. White edited the original version by William Strunk Jr.)
- Tracy Kidder & Richard Todd: 10 Writing Insights
- Zadie Smith: 10 Good Writing Habits
Let us know who’s advice you like the most in the comments below. Also tell us, what is the best writing advice you have ever been given?